Wednesday, August 3, 2011

What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Here is the link to a great blog post about playing it safe. My testimony: In early 2009, my wife ruptured a disc in her back and was forced to dissolve her home cleaning business. She was also rapidly losing her hearing. A month later, I was laid off from the company I had been with for almost 12 years. Income gone. Inexpensive health care gone. After much prayer and consideration, we moved to Arizona based on a gut instinct that it was what we were supposed to do. The safe thing to do was to stay in a familiar area, with additional family and friends there for support. There was a network of friends and business associates that provided a sense of security. With many connections, we surely would have been gainfully employed quickly.



Yet, every member of my household felt that risking everything and moving to a town where we knew no one was the correct course of action. Family and friends said we were crazy. I have since passed up two different opportunities to move away from Tucson and go back to work in my previous industry. Back to "security".

 
Maybe we were crazy to come here and are crazy to stay, but what I know is this; we are much stronger and healthier for it. Each of us has grown spiritually, and we have a focus on giving that we did not have previously. We have found a fantastic church. We are in the best physical shape of our lives. My wife's hearing has improved. Our son has many more options both for education and employment. We have met many wonderful new friends, and developed relationships that we expect will last a lifetime. My business is growing fast, and through July I have already generated 140% of the business that I did in all of 2010. I expect to double my business next year, and hire help. I have no income ceiling. We all feel more challenged, engaged, and confident. I am glad we didn't play it safe. Playing it safe is risky. What would you do right now if you knew you could not fail?

No comments:

Post a Comment